Monday, February 8, 2010

Guac Talk

I am pretty sure it has been just over a year since I started eating guacamole.



Avocados were one of those foods that I just used to stay away from but now embrace. I don't really blame myself for not really giving this green pile of chunky mush called GWAK-A-MOLE-EE a try. It sounds/looks/has-got-to-taste disgusting. Well, as discussed over a game of loaded questions one night, there are just too many words that sound nice, but are pretty gross (i.e. chlamydia). The opposite could be true of guacamole. Couldn't it?

Making this dip is just too easy to not at least give it a try. Avocados are good for your heart, and this is a guilt-free version mostly from my trusty Cooking Light Cookbook. I added a small tomato and some extra fresh lime juice, but you definitely don't have to. I like it lime-eeeeeeeeee.



Not So Bad Guacamole

(Makes 10 servings - recipe adapted from the Best of Cooking Light Cookbook)

1 C chopped onion
1/4 C fresh cilantro, chopped coarsely
3 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 small tomato, chopped
2 ripe avocados, just the flesh, mashed
lime wedge and cilantro springs (optional for garnish)

Just mix it all together, and garnish with the lime wedge and cilantro springs. Serve with tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment