Monday, September 20, 2010

Beef Tenderloin for Sale

This is never going to photograph as awesome as it tasted.



Considering I couldn't find my camera while the food was hot, these pictures are the best I could do from Zach's cell phone.

I always look at sales like some sort of game. I know retailers end up making money off of sales. It is because they convince people to buy things they normally would not have even considered purchasing at full price. Well, I refuse to be taken! I approach sales the way I would a dirty little rodent: wait until it is in a corner and then examine its moves as I close in slowly then POUNCE!

I try not to buy things on sale just because they are on sale. I hate feeling like I was "fooled" by the sale. I like to feel like I won the game...the store did not take me...I took IT! I buy things on sale for the following reasons:

I will 100% need to buy this item in the very near future whether it will be on sale or not (for example: I would buy coke zero before I actually run out if there is a great deal like 2 cases for the price of 1. I would never just buy it if it is slightly discounted because who is to say the deal will not be sweeter by the time I actually need to buy it?)

If I have been waiting for an item to go on sale, I will name my price in my head (for example: "That shirt is worth $19 to me so I will buy it if it dips below that price")

I will buy something on sale if it is better quality but the same price (on sale) as something I normally buy (for example: This happens quite often with wine; I have my go-to bottles, but regularly there are nicer bottles on sale for the same price so I can use those opportunities to try some new ones)

This beef tenderloin falls under the "I have been tracking you (borderline-stalking) this item for weeks, and I have not yet seen it at such a low price and I really really want it" category. Beef tenderloin is expensive. It is sold in large slabs (mine was about 3 pounds). I was going to wait for some sort of dinner party to make this baby, but I had a change of heart when I saw it for the right price at the grocery store.

My boss suggested Ina Garten's recipe a while back, and I have been meaning to make it since then. This delicious recipe comes with a creamy Gorgonzola sauce that I ended up using as a spread or a dip for everything that found its way onto my plate.



Tenderloin of Beef with Gorgonzola Sauce

(recipe by Ina Garten "The Barefoot Contessa" - serves 6)

whole Tenderloin of beef (2-3 pounds -- trimmed & tied
2 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Kosher salt
1 tbsp fresh ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 500F.
Place the beef on a baking sheet and pat the outside dry with a paper towel.
Spread the butter on with your hands. Sprinkle evenly with the salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for exactly 22 minutes for rare and 25 minutes for medium-rare starting with room temperature beef.
Remove the beef from the oven, cover it tightly with aluminum foil, and allow to rest at room temperature for 20 minutes.
Remove the strings and slice the filet thickly.

Gorgonzola Sauce
4 C heavy cream
3-4 oz crumbled Gorgonzola
3 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
3/4 tsp kosher salt
3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 tbsp minced fresh parsley

Bring the heavy cream to a full boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, then continue to boil rapidly for 45 to 50 minutes, until thickened like a white sauce, stirring occasionally.
Off the heat, add the Gorgonzola, Parmesan, salt, pepper, and parsley.
Whisk rapidly until the cheeses melt and serve warm. If you must reheat, warm the sauce over low heat until melted, then whisk vigorously until the sauce comes together.

This was quite a feast for just two, but I had a plan for this hunk of meat that will be a future post...Texas Chili 2 Ways (you will not want to miss that!).

No comments:

Post a Comment