Sunday, March 18, 2012

Homemade Fast Food: Tater-Tot Casserole

Zach and I had tots....



Lot's of tots... in this tater-tot casserole recommended by none other than our I-am-just-going-to-go-ahead-and-call-them family-even-though-Zach-won't, Chris and Rachel...Rachel recommended them in an "I-made-this" sort of way and Chris recommended this in an "I-ate-this" sort of way.

Juicy ground beef topped with crispy tater tots and melted cheese. Can we call this what it is? Homemade fast food. Delicious! No one eats more fast food than Zach and I. While I love to cook and even manage to update this blog once in a while, most days we are bringing food home from places all over the city. I even noticed this morning that Wing-Stop and Pappa Johns are among our "most visited" websites (as defined by our google chrome homepage).



Rachel managed to make a healthier version of this genius dish by using the healthier version of everything in the dish, but I didn't bother. I think I will lighten it up a little next time by throwing some vegetables into the meat mixture and using extra lean beef since I basically felt like I couldn't move after eating this, but it sure was worth every bite. Oh, and it was probably the easiest thing I have ever made.



Tater-Tot Casserole
Recipe by Craving Comfort
feeds 3-5 people


1 lb lean ground beef (I would use very lean maybe up to 1 1/2 lbs)
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of celery or cream of chicken soup (undiluted) - i did not use the whole can
1 16oz package frozen tater tots
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Brown ground beef. season with salt & pepper. - do not break it apart completely...leave some nice meaty chunks in there
Add chopped onion, cook until tender.
In a casserole dish, combine ground beef mixture & cream soup.
Top mixture with tater tots.
Bake , uncovered, for 30-40 minutes till bubbly and Tots are golden brown.
remove from oven & top with cheese, return to oven until melted.

2 comments:

The Boston Lady said...

This does sound easy and yummy! I think it could even be made many different ways with chicken, black beans, pork. Just change some of the ingredients, but of course keep those tots! I see they are now making sweet potato tater tots - not sure how those would taste. So good to see you on the blog. Mom#2

Sharon said...

My mouth is salivating...

Post a Comment