Friday, January 15, 2010

This Is Nuts

Am I nuts?



Possibly. I am taking a red-eye flight out tonight from Los Angeles to Tampa. This will put me in the Sunshine State (which ironically is not as sunny as California right now...at least that is what I hear) by 5:46 AM. I will be picked up from the Tampa International airport at 6:00 AM by my lovely, hope-they-won't-hate-me, friends. I will then proceed to gallivant around town with them picking up supplies, food and decorations for the bridal shower we will be hosting the following day. Monday afternoon I will lunch with part of the bridal party from another amazing wedding before hoping back on a plane back to Los Angeles. I live for this crazy stuff.

Yes, it is that time in life. Marriage is in the air. I am the proud proud friend of three very engaged, very beautiful couples.

Chroe - Christy and Joe. Don't you just want to be friends with these people? I mean, look at them. They really look alike, don't they. It seems like they should know exactly what their children will look like.



Jeagan - Jonathan and Meagan. Gorgeous people with big hearts. Meagan is my oldest friend, and you should know her parents dressed up as homeless people to get this shot taken right after he proposed.



Amandike - Amanda and Mikey. This picture says it all. Adventurous, fun, and contemplative. Mikey likes to say things like, "Arranged Marriages...Discuss." I also feel that I should mention they will not be having an arranged marriage; they have been dating for over nine years.



So anyway, this weekend will be nuts. So I have decided to share with you a recipe involving them. I received this recipe through an email recipe exchange. My aunt sent me the original email, I sent an email out to some unsuspecting victims and then I received some fun recipes back. I look forward to making a few of them this year!

Samantha's Broccoli with Garlic Butter and Cashews

1.5 pounds fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
1/3 cup butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup chopped, salted (or unsalted) cashews

Place broccoli into a large pot with about 1 inch of water in the bottom. Bring to a boil, and cooke for 7 minutes, or until tender but still crsip. Drain (well) and arrange on a serving platter.
While the broccoli is cooking, melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Mix in the brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, pepper and garlic. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat. Mix in the cashews and pour the sauce over the broccoli. Serve immediately.

Tip: For thicker sauce, mix 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch with a little bit of water and add it after the garlic. If you add the cornstarch directly to the sauce without mixing it first with a little water, it tends to clump.



I think this would also be great if you stir fry some chicken with the sauce (you would have to make more) and broccoli and serve it over rice.

1 comment:

The Boston Lady said...

I love the idea of the parents dressing up as homeless people to take that picture. That vision just makes me laugh.

Good luck to all of them and have a great time!

Post a Comment