Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Mixed Salad Moments

A wedding means everyone in your life that you love and care about are all in the same room at the same time to support you....



...a "tossed salad" (if you will) of people in your life.

Christy and Joe Nammour were married last weekend. Christy was my roommate for three years in college and has been an amazing friend for about the last 7 years of my life. I was so happy to get the chance to stand beside her as she promised her life away to a wonderful guy. The also look really really ridiculously good together which is also really important.

The weekend was so fun. Everything went according to plan. In the limo on the way to the church, all the bridesmaids were just sitting there, ready to go. Christy just looked so calm. There were no nerves (except for the ones at the thought of lots of people looking at her at the same time). It seemed like things were just the way they should be and that is all there is to it.



The happy couple should be on the island of St. Lucia about now, toasting away in the sun at their all-inclusive resort.

The guests at the wedding included family on both sides, friends from high school, college and post college and then family friends. I know a lot of people shy away from this sort of situation because it can become difficult when different groups that are separately a part of your life all come together. But this happens to be my favorite thing about weddings. It is probably just your wedding and your funeral where all these people from various parts of your life are all mixed together in the same room. I call these events "mixed salad moments"...or at least I call them that now since it transitions so nicely into the following delicious recipe.

Sunset Magazine is something I treat myself to every once in a while. It costs almost $5.00 per issue so I don't usually buy it unless something really catches my eye. The picture of this salad on the cover last month jumped out at me; I had to have it. Well, I did, and it was worth every bit of the $5.00 I spent on the magazine.



Chicken Pita Mixed Salad:

(recipe from Sunset Magazine)

2 boned, skinned chicken breast halves (1 lb. total)
6 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp fresh oregano leaves
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
4 ounces block feta cheese, broken into chunks
2 cups halved grape tomatoes
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
2 cups pita chips
2 cups loosely packed baby arugula

Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for high heat (450° to 550°; you can hold your hand 5 in. above cooking grate only 2 to 4 seconds). Coat chicken breasts with 1 tbsp. oil and cook, turning once, until no longer pink in the center and grill marks appear, about 7 minutes total. Let rest 10 minutes, then slice. (My grill was not working on this particular evening so I lightly coated the chicken with balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper before cooking the chicken over Med-High heat in my trusty cast iron skillet. It was great.)
While chicken is cooking, in a small bowl, whisk lemon juice, 1/3 cup oil, oregano, and pepper; set aside. Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil, drop in asparagus, and cook until bright green, about 2 minutes. Drain and rinse thoroughly with cold water.
In a medium bowl, combine chicken, cheese, asparagus, tomatoes, olives, and pita chips. Pour reserved dressing over mixture and toss gently to coat. Add arugula and toss once more just to combine.

I served this with some piping hot homemade cornbread (recipe found here on Everyone Likes Sandwiches).



It was one of my favorite meals in a long while. I imagine this would be great with some salmon, shrimp or a crusty white fish instead of chicken.

1 comment:

The Boston Lady said...

That salad almost looks as lovely as the picture of the bride. Glad you are back and I will try this recipe out on Mr. T!

Post a Comment