Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Little Something For the Homies - a guest blog

Sometimes I like what other people make. For this reason, I have decided to incorporate guest blogs. I will try to have a guest blogger about once a month if possible. I think this will also work well to give you a little break from boring ole' me!



Please allow me to introduce my coworker and friend, Alyssa. Alyssa works for the only literary agent at my place of business. She is charming, witty and a fantastic baker. She is my friend, not only for her cupcakes but for her great ideas which include a monthly dinner club at work and sharing good conversation over a plate of beignets at the Grad Lux Cafe in LA. I like her, and I think you will too. If you do, you can visit her more often at her own blog:

A Little Something For the Homies - a guest blog by Alyssa

Contrary to what you may have heard, working in an office in the Entertainment industry is not as glamorous as it sounds. It's filled with the same tedious, mundane tasks and crazy people like any other office job. Which is why all assistants live for holidays because holidays mean days off which mean shorter work weeks. Where I work it also means HALF DAY FRIDAYS which are almost as good as the holidays themselves but not quite. For not only can we dress even more casual (in honor of Casual Friday of course) but there is something about leaving at one that is just so freeing to an office automaton like me; sort of akin to ditching school, only you get paid and there's no fear of reprimand. Of course days like these are not without their downside, most notably the lack of bosses. Basically because they have a higher pay grade and a better title they get to skip the entire day while we slave away in our deadly quiet office.

Determined to remedy this slight on such a joyous occasion, I started bringing in treats for my workmates. It began with store bought donuts and quickly moved to confections of my own baking prowess. From Tres Leches cake to Rice Krispie treats, holidays (and my fellow assistants) get the sweet treatment; and the Friday before Labor Day was no different. I had already made cupcakes for my office twice before but this time I wanted to do something special for the long weekend. "Something Special" turned out to be Brownie Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting.

Note: I have a very long commute to and from work so being able to make things quickly is imperative which is why I used box recipe brownies instead of making them from scratch (which I've also done). Either way works wonderfully, as my satisfied coworkers can attest.


Half Day Friday Cupcakes

Makes about 15 cupcakes



1 Box of Betty Crocker Chocolate Chunk Brownie Mix
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons water

1 package of cupcake liners

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
Place liners in cupcake trays
Mix brownie mix according to the instructions on the box
Pour mixture into cupcake liners until they are about 2/3 full
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick can be pulled out clean

While the brownie cupcakes are baking, cream unsalted butter in a large bowl until smooth (you can do it by hand, but I prefer to use my handy dandy mixer)
Add the powdered sugar, salt, milk, and vanilla and mix until smooth and creamy

Remove brownie cupcakes from oven and let cool
Once they are no longer warm to the touch, frost them to your heart's content
Add sprinkles (unless of course you're dead inside or a terrorist in which case you don't believe in fun things like sprinkles...kidding, they're optional)



Serve with an all office email and a smile

No comments:

Post a Comment