Wednesday, September 16, 2009

When Life Hands You Lemons

A couple weeks ago when Zach's family was in town, they stayed at an adorable vacation rental with a lemon tree in the backyard. When they left to go back to Florida, we were left with a few bright yellow lemons. While of course lemonade is tasty, it is not really my favorite. So when life handed me lemons, I was forced to come up with another idea.

I eat salad almost everyday, sometimes twice. I try to eat a healthy salad (because we all know just because something is a salad does not mean it is healthy) as a meal in itself for either lunch or dinner, or at least I add one to a meal to replace potential bad-for-me side dishes. This habit is likely a result of the way my dad would make a salad to accompany any meal in our house growing up. Even if we were eating pizza or any other type of take out food, we would always have a salad to go with it. Until recently, I never thought twice about the fact that my dad would make his own homemade dressing every time. His salads always had a very distinct flavor that i will forever associate with the comfort of being at my parents' home in Florida. I would describe it as a lemon / garlic Greek style dressing. I am pretty sure there was never a recipe. I imagine my dad was just out of dressing one day and decided he thought these ingredients would go well together. Either way, those lemons reminded me of my dad's good ole' salad dressing so I gave him a ring for the benefit of us all.

Pop's Instead of Lemonade Dressing:

1/2 C high quality olive oil
1/2 C lemon juice
2 tsp finely minced garlic
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 C plain yogurt or labne (This is optional. My dad never added this, but it makes for a creamier, but still healthy, alternative)

Mix all ingredients with a wire whisk until blended thoroughly.



Mix all ingredients with a wire whisk until blended throughly.
Suggested salad toppings for this dressing include any or all of the following: tomatoes, green olives, fresh white onion, feta cheese, fresh bell peppers, and pine nuts.

1 comment:

The Boston Lady said...

This is the strangest coincidence! I was just thinking about your dad's dressing today. I remember how delicious it was with the salad we enjoyed at their house last year. Now I know how to make it too - and will!

Post a Comment